You have just received a call from the company you have applied to, for an interview.
- Do your research. Look up the company on the internet and learn what they are all about. (It will impress them when you show your knowledge on their company because that shows how much you want the job and how dedicated you are already). Re-read the job description and duties that you have applied for. This way, when they ask you questions, you’ll be able to answer the question better by knowing what the position you’re applying for entails.
- Documents: copy of your resume, list of references and any supporting documents (i.e. certificates, etc) all in a blue or black folder.
- Your look: (Females) – nails cut short, no nail polish or nude/clear nail polish, hair tied up in a mid ponytail, very minimum make up (no fake lashes, no eye shadow, no bright lipstick, no extreme contouring) Foundation, little bit of blush, light lip gloss, mascara/eyeliner is sufficient. Flat shoes over high heels, dress pants and a blazer over dress/skirt. No perfume. Dress to impress.
(Male)- clean cut hair & beard (preferably clean shaven), no cologne, dress shirt with dress pants, dress shoes, and briefcase.
- Show up 10 minutes prior to interview time. Being punctual and a little bit early is a lot better then being right on time.
- Be confident, head held high, straight posture, smile, make good eye contact and speak with confident as well.
- Try to avoid saying: uhm, mhmm, uh, so, well, like, etc
- It’s a good idea to write down the typical and potential interview questions you may get thrown at and prepare your answers. Typical questions to expect: “What are your strengths & weakness?” / “Why are you interested in this position / working for our company?” / “Tell us about yourself?” / “Why did you leave your previous job / why are you looking to leave your current job?”
Ultimate Guide to Job Interview Answers!
- When shaking their hand, do not grip to hard or too softly. Firm grip shows your confidence but as well do not be aggressive.
I highly recommend having your interview outfit prepared the day before, and looking up where the location of the interview is, and planning your trip to get there. For example; your interview is tomorrow at 11am, you look up on google map and it tells you that it’ll take you approximately 30mins to get there (remember this is approximate time, consider traffic and accidents that can occur), you know it will take you 30-45mins to get ready. So, get up at 9am and get ready, leave the home at 10am and should arrive by 10:30am-10:45am which will give you the 15mins or so buffer time to stop by a bathroom to make sure you look presentable and arrive 10mins prior to 11am.
Do not ask about pay during the interview. Wait until they ask “what are you looking for, salary wise?”. And answering this question is tricky, depending on the position you’re applying for, you don’t want to give a high number because that will make you look greedy. It is always better to low ball it and let the employer give you the appropriate amount. You do not want them to think you care more about the pay then the job and their company. TIP: most job postings will tell you the pay rate, if not, you can google it and see if the internet has information on at least the approximate pay for that type of job position.
Any questions, leave a comment below! =) Happy to give advice and tips!